Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Searching for Books using the Library Catalog
URSUS includes the Garbrecht Law Library catalog
WHAT: URSUS is the shared catalog for many Maine academic and public libraries, including the University of Maine system, Bangor Public Library, Maine State Library and the Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library.
HOW: To search the Catalog from the Garbrecht Law Library homepage:
- Search options are Keyword, Title, Author and Subject.
- Sample Keyword search: oil pollution
- Sample Author search: Ryan, Mark
- Sample Title search : Clean Water Act Handbook
- To limit results to Garbrecht Law Library collection, choose drop-down box that says and select University of Maine School of Law (hint: below Presque Isle).
Request books located at URSUS libraries
Books available at other University of Maine System Libraries may be sent to the Garbrecht Law Library using the library catalog request function, a patron driven library lending system.
- Searching URSUS, you find material that is not available at the Garbrecht Law Library but is available at a participating library:
- Choose the “Request” image in the upper part of the screen.
- Enter your name and library bar code, then choose “U of Maine School of Law” to have the book sent to the Garbrecht Law Library.
- Click “Request Selected Item” to request the book.
- If the book does not circulate, the system will indicate it cannot be requested.
- If it is checked out, the system will indicate that it is unavailable.
- Book will be delivered to the library's interlibrary loan department (ILL) and may be picked up at the Circulation Desk (3rd floor)
- You will be notified upon its arrival.
What is not available using URSUS request function?
- Copies of articles
- Materials located at the Glickman Family Library. Garbrecht Law Library patrons must visit the Glickman Family Library.
MaineCat & ILL
Maine InfoNet is a library consortium with lending privileges. It is similar to URSUS and includes more Libraries.
If the material is unavailable on URSUS then search MaineCat.
- Run search.
- Displays holdings of Maine InfoNet Libraries.
- Choose your home library: UNIV OF MAINE LAW SCHOOL and submit.
- Enter Name, Barcode and pick-up location.
- The book will be sent to the ILL Department and you are notified.
Maine Law School Interlibrary Loan
- Materials not available at the Garbrecht Law Library, through URSUS, or using Maine InfoNet may be obtained through interlibrary loan.
- There is no cost for the services provided by the Garbrecht Law Library’s Inter-Library Loan Department for Law faculty, staff & students.
- Gabrecht Law Library will pay up to $15.00 of the lending library’s fees.
- Use the interlibrary loan link to access the forms. There are two forms:
- One form is to request articles and the other is to request books.
- Forms must be completed in full.